There are a number of reasons why i think leaving your home town or city, and going on a gap year after high school are a good idea. It could be to anywhere, even somewhere in your own country. Just to get away and learn about yourself and discover what you want to do. I went to Australia and south east Asia. And i really felt like this experience changed my life, it made me grow up, learn about the real world and really developed me as a person in a way that a classroom couldn't. Here's ten reasons why i think a gap year is a great idea after high school.
1. Get out of Education for a little while- Just getting out of education for a while. Like literally ever since you were five that's all you've known, for the past 13 years of your life, you've been sat in a classroom, listening to teachers and looking at whiteboards. Surely it's time you got out and experienced the real world a little. I think it's also good to have a break from education, i genuinely think it helps you focus more, going straight from high school to university, it's easy to burn out. I think taking a year out to work and travel gives you the opportunity to have this time off. I think in the long run, this will make leaving university to 'actually' step into the proper world a lot easier too, as you've already been there and experienced it a little.
2. Experience a different Culture- The same again like, all you would've known is maybe the culture and lifestyle you've been brought up in. It's a great idea to live and work in a different country, and learn what another culture or lifestyle is like. This can open you up to new possibilities and a new ways of living that you never even knew existed. It will also make you more open to new things and new people, making your university experience even more valuable.
3. Become more Confident- Leaving home at 18/19 to move to a new country, travel and work and do all that adult shit by yourself, is going to make you a hell of a lot more confident. Even things like finding a job, getting an apartment, making new mates, shopping, getting settled into a new life. It's going to make you a lot more confident to do things by yourself and feel more comfortable doing them. You're also going to feel more capable and comfortable with moving to uni and getting a job and everything else that goes along with it.
4. Gain Life Skills- Gaining life skills is one of the biggest ones that you gain from a gap year. You will learn stuff that the classroom wouldn't teach you, that you're going to need for real life, particularly after and even during uni. Like how to manage your finances, pay rent, get jobs, pay tax, claim tax back and all that other stuff. All this stuff you are going to need to know for after uni, or even during uni, you will already know. So you won't be stressing about all this when moving to uni, so can just focus and get well on with your studies.
5. Gain Job Experience- While being away on your gap year, you will probably have to work at some point to be able to fund your travels, or whatever else you plan to do on your gap year. This will give you job experience and in another country to, which will make you stand out. Yeah you may already have job experience, which is great. Being on a gap year will probably at some point give you the chance to experience full time working life, give you new skills and more work experience to add to your CV.
6. Gives you time to Think- Taking a gap year gives you time to think about everything. What you really want to do, where you life is heading, what you want to do and if so, what you want to study. It just gives you time to decide where you want to take your life and how you want to approach things.
7. Discover What you really Want to do- Travelling as i mention in many of my other blogs really allows you to meet a lot of people, opens you up to new cultures and ways of life, and as said earlier gives you time to think. I mean when in high school there is so much pressure and rushing into what you want to do and study at university, very few of us actually get the chance to just take a step back and actually think, and take a serious look at where we want to take our lives. Let's be honest 18/19 is a young age to decide all that. Taking a year out allows you to gain all this new information and experience a load of new things, and i think this really helps you decide what you want to do with your life, and where you want to take it.
8. Learn About Yourself- With all this time to think to yourself and about your future, meeting all these new people and cultures, and getting all these new ideas, travelling really allows you to learn about yourself and what you really want, and i really feel self awareness is such a massive part of being genuinely happy and successful. So i think this is a massive benefit.
9. Have a Good Time- Not only are there all these educational and personal benefits to travelling, but you're going to have an incredible time. Travelling around, doing awesome activities, seeing amazing things. You're only young and without commitments probably once in your life, so why not live the adventure with no stress for at least a year.
10. Meet Lifelong Friends- By travelling, getting new flatmates and staying in hostels, you're going to make lifelong friends. Friends from all over the world, that you can go visit and they can visit you. Which is awesome.