Flying and Airports
Information on flying, airports, what to do to pass the time and any other advice i think may come in useful when hitting the sky's.
Probably the worst part of travelling and definitely the most tedious, after flying for hours on end, you're tired, want to get to your hostel or hotel, get some proper food and a shower, and now you have to spend hours getting through airport security. Brilliant. Here's some tips on how you can get through much quicker, and finally step foot outside the airport.
1. Have Your Documents Ready- Make sure you have your documents ready for when going through security, this will make the whole process go a lot more smoothly, and save you searching through your whole bag for your passport or boarding pass. So make sure you have your passport and boarding pass to hand, and possibly any other documents you may need close by and organised, so they are easily accessible. Here's things i would have easily accessible at security, incase you are asked for them:
2. Make Sure Your Hand Luggage is Properly Packed- Having your carry on luggage organised is key to getting through security as quickly as possible. So firstly check what is allowed and what isn't allowed in carry on, and if it's not allowed, obviously don't pack it. Or you are going to get pulled to one side and they are going to check your whole bag. Also make sure you are carrying no liquids over 100ml, and make sure that they are in a clear bag. Even things like lip balm, toothpaste etc. They often have clear bags just before airport security so make sure you use them if you forgot, or your bag will be getting pulled to one side. Another thing is make sure you don't carry more than one cigarette lighter and are not carrying any other prohibited items. Here's more information on what is and isn't allowed in hand luggage on flights.
3. Wear Easily Removable Clothing- Wear Clothing that is easily removable, and knowing what you need to take of, can make getting through security much quicker, and save you setting the machines of and having to go through it again. Remember to take of belts, empty all your pockets, hats, watches and any jewelry. You may possibly even have to take of your shoes, so it might be easier to wear shoes that you can easily take on and off.
4. Check in Online- Checking in online can save you so much time, especially if flying domestically and you don't even have bags to check in. You can literally just check in online and then all you have to do is go straight through airport security when you arrive, easy. Even if you're on a long haul flight checking in online can save you a fair bit of time and saves you checking in when you arrive, all you will have to do is drop of your bags.
5. Be Friendly and Don't be Afraid to Ask- Being friendly always helps, this may sound kind of ridiculous, but if you're nice and talkative to the people that are letting you through, they're going to be more likely to let you through quicker. This is the same at check in, so many times when there has been a huge queue for economy class, i have gone up to business class check in and just asked if i can check in there. If you're are nice and explain you've had a long day or want to spend a bit more time with your friends or family before you fly, most of them are usually really nice and will check you right in. So be friendly and don't be afraid to ask.